Grossmont Union High School District

Rosa Rosselli, Planning Technician
(619) 644-8177
(619) 644-3564 FAX
Office Hours for Payment of Fees
Monday through Friday
7:00 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
1:30 p.m. – 2:30 p.m.
1100 Murray Drive El Cajon, CA 92020
Fee Calculations
Monday through Friday
7:00 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
1:30 p.m. – 2:30 p.m.
Residential Construction:        $1.00 per sq foot ($1.20 per sq foot as of September 1, 2019)
Commercial Construction:        $.16 per sq foot ($.19 per sq foot as of September 1, 2019

Personal or Business Checks
Money Order
Cashier Check
Notification of Payment
Please make all checks payable to GUHSD 
**Sorry - no cash or credit cards**
Notification of Payment


On January 11, 2007, the Governing Board of the Grossmont Union High School District held a Public Hearing and approved a Resolution accepting the Developer Fee Justification Study establishing Level 1 Fees in accordance with Government Code Section 65995 and Education Code Section 17620.  The Public Notice was posted in The San Diego Union-Tribune and East County Californian.  Once the Resolution was adopted, school facilities fees were assessed as follows:

Statutory Level 1 fees will be $1.00 per square foot of habitable area for all residential construction and  $.16 per square foot for all commercial &    industrial  construction.

All fees are calculated per square foot of assessable space by the local building department for all commercial/industrial and residential construction.  Fees are due prior to the issuance of a building permit.

The following forms, generated by the County of San Diego or City of El Cajon, must be submitted with payment to Grossmont Union High School District:

If your project is within the County of San Diego - Required Agency Clearances

If your project is within the City of El Cajon - Certificate of Compliance

NOTE - School fees are not considered a tax exemption, however, you may want to consult with your tax advisor or CPA for additional information.
Other Information

Other Information

Projects that total 500 square feet or less are exempt from school fees.· Non-habitable areas such as agricultural buildings, barns, or personal storage may be exempt from school fees. Other exemptions may include religious facilities, and federal, state, or local government facilities.· Reconstruction of destroyed or damaged buildings may also be exempt.· For additional information review the Application for Application for Exemption (3a) or contact our office.
Exempt Senior Housing of 35 or more units from paying residential fees if the developer claims to have no employees associated with the housing.· Senior citizen housing would pay the commercial fee rate.

Application for Refund Of School Fees  (3b) should be submitted, along with documentation stating the reason for the refund request, to the Facilities Management Department.  If your project has been abandoned/canceled, please submit a statement or computer printout from the City of El Cajon or County of San Diego building department stating that they are aware the project has been abandoned/canceled. 


You may receive square footage credit if a building has been demolished in relation to the planned new construction.  To receive credit you must submit the following:

Proof that the building has been demolished.
Copy of the Residential Building Record obtained from the Tax Assessor's office located at 200 S. Magnolia Avenue, El Cajon, (619) 401-5700.

In October 2007, the Wild Fires destroyed many homes within the Grossmont Union High School District. If you are planning to rebuild your home, you may be subject to school fees or an exemption.