Grossmont Union High School District

Students experiencing housing insecurity

Students experiencing housing insecurity

  • Temporarily with another person or relatives due to economic hardship or loss of housing (i.e. eviction, inability to pay the rent, destruction of home, illness, loss of employment, etc.)
  • Hotel, motel or campground (i.e. no fixed/regular nighttime residence due to economic hardship)
  • Emergency or transitional shelter
  • Unsheltered (i.e. a car, park, public space, abandoned building, campground, bus or train station, substandard housing, or similar setting which may include lack of water or electricity; health or safety risks)

School-Aged children have certain rights or protections under the McKinney-Vento Homeless Education Assistance Act.  Those rights are:

  • Go to school, no matter where they live or how long they have lived there.  Must be given access to the same public education provided to other children.
  • Continue in the school attended before becoming homeless or the school last attended, if that is the choice and is feasible.  If a school sends a child to a school other than the one requested, the school must provide a written explanation and offer the right to appeal the decision.
  • Receive transportation assistance to the school attended before the family became homeless, if feasible, and a parent/guardian requests such assistance.
  • Attend a school and participate in school programs with children who are not homeless.  (Children cannot be separated from the regular school program because they are homeless.)
  • Enroll and attend classes while the school arranges for the transfer of school and immunization records or any other documents required for enrollment.
  • Enroll and attend classes while the school and family seek to resolve a dispute over enrolling the children.
  • Receive the same special programs and services, if needed, as provided to all other children served in these programs.
GUHSD Homeless & Foster Youth liaison

GUHSD Homeless & Foster Youth liaison

Joshua Reiderer
Assistant Director, Student Support Services

Phone: (619) 644-8014
fax: (619) 713-2261