Grossmont Union High School District

GUHSD offers General Education transportation to eligible students living outside the 3-mile non-transportation zone established at each school.  Transportation is offered only to the following schools: El Capitan, Granite Hills, Mount Miguel, Monte Vista & West Hills.   

Attendance Boundaries 

Steele Canyon Charter High School stops are pre-determined.  Additional stops, routes or service changes must be approved by Steele Canyon High School. 

Bus stops are established based on density of ridership in a specific area.   Upon applying, the bus stop nearest your home residence will be assigned.

We require students to be at the AM bus stop at least 10 minutes prior to the scheduled pickup time.  If the bus arrives early, it will wait until the assigned time before it leaves. 

In the afternoon, buses depart each school 7 minutes after the dismissal bell.  Generally, students will not have enough time to go to their locker after school and still make it to the bus before it leaves.  Please have your student plan accordingly.

GUHSD does not offer an "Activity Bus" (a bus to pickup students late in the afternoon after extra-curricular practices) like some districts do.  If your child participates in an extra-curricular activity, please make arrangements for their transportation home.

Bus Passes are priced at a discount versus Ride Tickets.  An Annual Pass is discounted 21% and a Semester Pass is discounted 14%.

Students must be registered and are required to show their Bus Pass or Ride Ticket to the driver each time they board the bus.  Repeated failure to do so may result in termination of bus riding privileges.

Times subject to change.  Routes updates go into effect the first school day of every week. 

For safety & security reasons, students must be registered and have a bus pass to ride the school bus beginning on the first day of school.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact our business office between 7:00 am and 3:30 pm, Monday through Friday, at (619) 644-8186, ext. 1.
Passes & Tickets

Passes & Tickets

GUHSD offers Annual and Semester Bus Passes. The 2023/2024 fee schedule is as follows:
Book of 40 Ride Tickets: $45
Book of 20 Ride Tickets: $25
Fall Pass: $180
Spring Pass: $180
Annual Pass:$325
Application Process: 
1. Click on the link in the right of this page titled BUS PASS APPLICATION. Submit when complete.  
2. Once application has been approved, you will be notified of the approval and your payment will be required prior to assignment to a route.  Passes will be delivered to the student. 
3. Assignment to a route can take up to 2 weeks from the time payment has been received.  
Once your request for transportaion has been approved, you will receive an email with the link to our payment site.  Once payment is received, your order will be finalized and the pass and/or tickets will be delivered to the student by their driver.  
Buy Tickets:
If you would like to buy bus tickets, please request tickets by emailing request to
Purchase In-Person:
Business Hours: 7:00 am to 3:30 pm
Replacement Bus Pass
Contact our office at 619-644-8186 ext: 0  or email us at

Directions to our Office: 
GUHSD Transportation Office
9575 Milden Street, La Mesa, 91942
  • Drive as if you were going to Harry Griffen Park 
  • Just prior to the park entrance turn right into the District Transportation Yard Proceed straight back
  • Parking for the Transportation office is on the right-hand side
Reduced-Fare Passes

Reduced-Fare Passes

In order to qualify for a Free or Reduced Pass, show proof of eligibility and complete the Free/Reduced Application. You must declare all income your household receives and present the following information (where applicable) for verification:
  •  Child Support/Alimony: Court decree, agreement or copies of checks received.
  •  Unemployment Compensation: Current unemployment receipts, social security or pension check stubs.
  •  AFDC Documentation: Most recent 'Notice of Action' (within last 3 months) from the county, or  a letter  from your Social Worker stating benefit amount.
  • Pay Stubs: Last 2 months pay stubs showing gross salary or letter from employer  verifying  2 months gross salary.
  • Income Tax Returns forms for the prior year: Federal Form 1040 or 1040EZ
  • Self-Employed: Profit & Loss Statement on company letterhead (most recent 2 months) and  Income Tax Return and W-2's from prior year.
  • Foster Children: Court documentation for child placement.